Monday, December 30, 2013

Rock Candy

I hadn't made this in years!  I'm so glad I added it to my list of treats to make this year.  I forgot how much we all like it!

 

3 3/4 c.  sugar

1 1/4 c.  light Karo syrup

1 c.  water

1 tsp. oil flavoring or 1 Tbsp. extract flavoring (I used spearmint, cinnamon and raspberry)

food coloring

powdered sugar

 

Sprinkle cookie sheet with powdered sugar and set aside.            
Combine sugar, syrup and water in a saucepan and continuously stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.            

 

Continue to cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees.           


Remove from heat and add food color and oil or extract.

 


Pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet and allow to cool completely. Once completely cooled lay a clean towel over top of sheet and break candy into pieces by tapping with a hammer. Sprinkle candy again with powdered sugar.


IMG_4867




2 comments:

  1. This is on my list to make.... to bring to our moms night at your place next month!!!

    ReplyDelete